Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Dream Hunters

I just finished rereading this and I must say, I don't know who deserves more credit, Neil Gaiman or Yoshitaka Amano. This illustrated novella is a fast, simple, and enjoyable read. The artwork is unquestionably stunning. The theme is simple. As love stories go, its touching. All praise aside, Neil Gaiman retells an ancient Japanese folk tale, "The Fox, the Monk, and the Mikado of All Night's Dreaming." I have never read the original version of this story, so alas, I can't make any claim to the verity Gaiman's version has to the original. Still, it acts as a lovely hybrid of western and eastern thought.

Plot wise, it is the story of a fox and a monk. The fox falls in love with the monk, and likewise the monk falls in love with the fox. When she learns of the Monk's impending death, she travels to the King of All Night's Dreaming to save him. Thus unfolds a story in which "lessons were learned" and "events occurred as it was proper for them to do." Those of you familiar with the rest of the Sandman Series will find much familiar territory, character, plot, and setting wise. According to Gaiman, most of it was in the originally story, and did not need to be added.

The illustrations. Where do I begin? Mr. Amano illustrates the story as we move through it with absolutely stunning visuals. Simply look at the cover page, it is but a sampling of the stories contents. The illustrations follow the story, and add an unbelievable depth to the story not conveyed by Gaiman's writing. The prose is very simple after all, and would leave much to the imagination if not for the illustrations. Most of the illustrations, they can be found on every page, fill a single page, however a few fill two pages, and at one point a fold out unveils a four page painting of none other than the Sandman himself. I doubt you will find much to complain of.

As much as I have enjoyed this story the several times I've read though it. A warning, it is a very light, quick read. Don't expect a masterful literary adventure (Gaiman has plenty of other stuff if that's what you're after), this is but a simple love story. In parts its humorous, parts exciting, and parts touchingly sad (it did bring tears to my eyes, though that isn't hard to do). I imagine you'll find it entirely touching, and delightfully enchanting throughout.

If you like read:
Star Dust - Neil Gaiman
The Little Mermaid - Hans Christian Anderson

1 comment:

lemon-lime said...

Neil Gaiman is a new find for me. My roommate bought his newest book at a book festival in DC and decided she didn't want to read it because it sounded creepy. I really enjoyed it. I know he's collaborated with T Pratchett before, so I thought I'd give it a read.

The Graveyard Book. I found it quite enjoyable.